Tuesday 15 April 2014

My latest bright idea: 3-day Juice Cleanse

Full photo credits to Soulmatefood's instagram for the pic, I didn't decide until the juices were long gone that I wanted to blog about it! 


I've been struggling of late to kick my crazy sugar and coffee cravings, so my latest bright idea came in the form of a juice cleanse. I've seen these advertised in magazines/ Instagram loads before and have always been really curious to try one and see what they're about, however they usually cost around the £150 mark which was a little to steep for me. So when I saw one advertised on groupon I jumped on the chance and saw it as a "quick fix" to getting into a healthy regime.

 It was reduced to £60 for 3 days which I saw as £20 a day and I wouldn't be paying out for my usual skinny latte habit and lunch/dinner so why not? For anybody that doesn't know, a juice cleanse is basically where you have a set amount of juices per day which you have in replacement for food and they have all your nutrients and vitamins etc in and are suppose to give you an almighty detox. 

So the juices were delivered by soulmatefood, 18 of them, 6 a day, and I was really excited for the challenge. So I popped a few in my bag and went to work. On my way I had my first breakfast juice, it was delicious, this will be easy I thought! I can't WAIT to be healthy I thought. So then came juice number 2 at around 11, which I couldn't wait for as I was starting to get seriously peckish, and yes like the first it was delicious and I drank it as slowly as possible to make it last. After that I couldn't stop thinking about how much I wanted the next one, which came at about 1ish. It was around this point I started to get a bit of a headache, I'd been drinking lots of water (as advised), so I thought it must be my caffeine withdrawal. By 3, the thought of another juice wasn't really appealing to me, so I got up to get it, slightly wobbly as I felt very off balance and lightheaded, and started on it. It was then that I realised I was not going to finish this juice, I was sick of it. It was starting to give me heartburn, and I was in the most terrible mood with a throbbing migraine. I wasn't particularly hungry, I just couldn't shake the feeling of how bad I felt. It was like I'd put myself into a self induced hangover. I didn't want to give in, I'd just paid money to do this and I couldn't get past day 1! By the point of around 4.30 I wanted to go home, I wanted to cry, I was so frustrated and tearful. I couldn't and still can't believe how much avoiding eating properly could affect me. It wasn't worth it. So I had some soup, just a tin of Heinz. And within an hour I felt jubilant again, the headache was gone. I really can't comprehend how drinking 6 juices a day can be good for you, even for a short space of time. 

So that was it, I failed on day one, I went home and had a jacket potato and had never been more grateful for a hot dinner in my life.  The fridge was left full of delicious smoothies for the next 5 days much to the delight of my family and boyfriend, who actually asked me " why didn't you just buy a load of innocent smoothies? It would have been cheaper?" And my answer? I really don't know, they tasted just the same. Were the same size. Now I feel conned and like a failure. Fabulous. Healthy eating from now on for me. I'd rather eat only healthy food than nothing! 

X

No comments:

Post a Comment